Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Tapped In: The Bennington Blog

are there any visual arts professors who have experience with illustration or book arts?? these have my passions lately, and i'm interested in continuing this at bennington.

I know that in the past there has been a bookbinding class taught by our printmaking professor Thorsten Dennerline, but I'm not sure when that will be taught next, nor what exactly it entails (watch this space in case I find the official course description). I do remember a friend of mine throwing a pot for an assignment for the class the last time it was taught, so I think it explores not only basic bookbinding, but also what a book or story is and what it means.

Additionally, one of our drawing professors, Mary Lum, taught a class this past Fall called "13 Zines: Research/Drawing/Design" in which each student created 13 zines over the course of the term on topics of his or her choice. Also, there was a visual arts class this Spring called "Manga Into Art: After Super Flat" taught by Yoko Inoue that explored the history of manga by looking at the history of Japanese subcultures, their socio-political context, and Japanese contemporary art theory, in addition to students creating their own work.

While no professor has a class focusing on illustration or book arts this coming Fall, remember that teachers are always incorporating new classes and subjects into the curriculum, and Bennington often has fantastic visiting faculty, one of whom may focus on what you're interested in.

- Rachel '14

Kicking off summer with some homemade sandwich bread.  -Selina...



Kicking off summer with some homemade sandwich bread. 

-Selina '15

is it weird if i don't go on a pre-orientation trip? i don't want to feel left out and out of the loop come regular orientation, but i don't think my schedule works out for me to go on a hiking or canoeing trip. do most freshman end up going on pre-orientation trips?

Parke spoke to this not too long ago. I would echo her to say that it's definitely not weird or socially unwise to just show up for regular orientation. (As a plus you'll be much cleaner and better rested.) I'm not sure how many will go this year but when I was a freshmen less than half of my class went. Good luck with scheduling and don't worry about it.

-Selina '15

Is there any way to incorporate architecture into your plan at Bennington?

Absolutely.

Here's what we've offered for courses in the past.

and here's what the studio looks like.

Liam

Hi there, could you elaborate on the course descriptions of "Pathways: An Introduction to Writing" and "Style and Tone in Nonfiction Writing" because they seem to be extremely similar and I'm having trouble differentiating between them. Thanks a bunch!

After deep study of the two course descriptions, I can understand your confusion. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say Pathways will focus more on learning the different essay forms, and Style & Tone will focus more on well, style and tone: developing your individual voice.

But it's hard to imagine the courses will be very different, especially with students getting so much individual attention. I think there's always a high demand for introductory writing courses (which explains the redundancy and confusion), and I would recommend going with whatever works better with the rest of your schedule.

Liam

Is it possible to leave some things on campus during field work term?

Yes. If you live in a colonial house then you can leave your things in the room. Otherwise there is storage provided for you in the houses or nearby. 

-Glennis

Just in general how much should I try to save for FTW?

That really depends on what you're hoping to do, where you're hoping to go, and how creative you're willing to get. A lot of first years go home to save money but that's certainly not required. I ended up in NYC (I'm from Seattle) staying with friends of friends. My job covered transportation so my only cost was food.

If you don't might networking with friends and family or putting up with sleeping on somebody's couch I think it's totally possible to have a great FWT with limited finances. I know you asked in general "how much" but without specifics it's hard to say. Also don't forget that the FWT office has resources to help you out including a little bit of grant money and and plenty of creative planning!

-Selina '15

Will Thread exist without Jason Moon next year?

Yes. Jason is gone but I along with the rest of the Radio Project intend the keep the event and our podcasts going. But we already miss Jason terribly. 

-Glennis

How long do the pre-orientation trips last and is there a pool table on campus? :D

The Pre-O trips are 4 nights (one on campus and three outdoors) and 5 days (one on campus and then one in transit) and yes there is a pool table in the student center. But sadly no pool, ah well, a girl can dream…

-Glennis

image

Hi, guys! For the incoming freshmen who'd like to take part in the pre-orientation trip, should we be prepared for an extra fee? And do we need to invest in special equipment (tent, sleeping bag, etc?) Thanks!

Yes, there is a $250 fee to participate in the trips.

As far as gear goes the more you can bring the better. The school will provide tents but if have a sleeping bag or pad (or a friend who can lend them) or you're looking to invest that is super helpful. Bennington  has a few extra items for rent but the supply is very limited. Also if you're hoping to go backpacking it's great if you own or can borrow a backpacking backpack. If you opt for investing it's totally possible to find things cheaply (no need for the state-of-the-art REI specials). Check out eBay or craigslist and see if any outdoor stores near you are having summer sales.

Hope this helps!

-Selina 

image

If I'm a wait-listed student who still hasn't heard back (I received my wait list letter on February 1 and it's now May 24), is there anything I can do??

Give the office a call: 800-833-6845 or email your counselor. I'm really sorry it's taken so long to hear back. It'll be much easier to help you in person. 

Hold on!

-Selina '15

has anyone ever taken cognition & society? what thinks you? of the subject, of the workload, of the professor?

That class is being taught by a visiting faculty member, so your guess is as good as ours! I will say I took a course this last term called Discourse and Thinking which I think covered some of the same terrain, but from a different perspective. It was mind-blowing. Everyday life will never be the same…in a good way.

-Alan '15

Do students going on pre-o trips move in before regular orientation students?

Yes! You get to pick which side of the room you want unless… your roommate in a going a pre-o trip too:)

-Selina

The Silo!

The Silo!:

Check out our little journal of student work! The silo is run by students. We each get a copy in our mailboxes, but there is an online version too with music, video, poetry, prose, and all things creative (and a play by me…)! Its a great way to get a feel for what's happening here on campus.

-Alan '15

10 Things I'd Wish I'd Known About Bennington

If Jason gets to do a final post I’m going to do a final post too even though I’m not as popular as he is due to lack of cat gifs. I’m really more of a dog person, so sue me. I do however want to share my top 10 things I really wish I’d known before I got here (in no particular order). Now as a hurdle towards graduation they seem sooooo obvious. 

1). Bring a lot of lamps but nothing else. There aren’t lights in a lot of the rooms, no one told me. But people who bring too much stuff (me and my roommate Meg Lambert our first term, ehm) suffer the consequences. Be a minimalist

2). Don’t operate based on how you think people think about you.

image

Benningington can be a social minefield in a way. It’s really a culture of it’s own. And if you’re like me and aren’t good at Minesweeper, you might find yourself intimidated by the social climate here at first. Everyone is so beautiful and talented and smart, but if you end up at Bennington I bet you are all of those things too (SOUNDS CHEESY, I’M GRADUATING, DON’T CARE). I’ve seen really cool people refuse to engage in this community because they are really worried about how they do or do not fit in. Secretly, a lot of us are kind of awkward and someone you think is being rude or ignoring you might just be EVEN MORE AWKWARD than you or intimidated by being here too, or they just found out that the dining hall is no longer offering their favorite type of soy-whatever so  they are sad or etc.My point is give everyone the benefit of the doubt and forge on anyway and you will be much much more fulfilled by this community — most people here are really great and might become some of your best friends if you give them a shot. 

3). Just write your stupid Plan essay, stop being crazy. Come September all the sophomores on campus have a lil’ panic attack/identity crisis because they have to draft their PLAN.

.image

I tell you, it will be FINE. Whack that sucker out. You’re going to revise it a million times anyway. You’re going to grow so much, stop freaking out. The process of writing anything down is valuable. Only by writing your Plan can you expose what it is to you. It’s the process that is important, not the document.

4). Go outside as much as you can. Seriously it’s so beautiful here. image

Swim in Lake Paran until it’s too cold. Go on hikes by yourself through the woods or take your new boy toy on a walk to the graveyard.image

Watch the sunset at end of the world with your friends. Do all your reading on the lawn. Find new places that you keep secret and go to them. 

5). Insist on meeting with your adviser. Some students here don’t feel like they have a really vital connection with their faculty adviser. This is such an important relationship and it’s no one’s fault but yours if you aren’t getting something out of it. I realized early on in my freshman year that my relationship with my adviser wasn’t serving me and so I switched advisers. If you like who you are working with but find them to be less available than you’d like, seek them. Put some effort in.

6). On that same note, put some effort in. You don’t HAVE to have an education that means something to you, it’s a choice you’re making. I’ve found that going to Bennington only really works if you work. Want to go abroad and do something awesome for your FWT? Stop whining about not having any money and apply for a grant. Make a really accurate budget and write a stellar proposal. If you don’t care and you don’t try you don’t really deserve to go anyway. Take responsibility for your education and it will serve you.

7). Sometimes you are going to feel really lost or incredibly stupid or like a jerk because you don’t know what you want to do anymore or you’re failing at something you should be good at or you (whoopsie) kissed the wrong person or whatever. Let yourself feel bad and learn something from it. If you feel great all the time and never make any mistakes or question your choices you’ll leave here pretty much the same as you came in. Take risks and celebrate your victories! Learn when you fail. 


8). Celebrate, have fun, make friends, don’t care.  You’re really young and smart and probably not married or anything. Enjoy not having very many responsibilities. image

9). But don’t have so much fun that you don’t take care of yourself. We will take care of you but seriously we don’t want to. Be responsible for your own well-being.  

10). Find a way to take this place with you. I think a lot of us graduating are ready to leave and move on to new things. Some people are more nostalgic and others can’t wait to get out, but no matter what we gripe about or love we all have to find a way to leave that hopefully feels okay — not jarring or unnatural. I know I’ll miss the people here more than anything, especially since I am bad at staying in touch and all my closest friends are going to be spread out all over the place. I am trusting that there will still be a place for me here even after I leave, and that it is a place that all of us take with us when we go, even if that place was a mixed bag for us when we were here. I know anytime I see someone from Bennington on the street I will be really ungainly and excited. image

-Riley ‘13

Who are the candidates for Bennington's next president?

Though the campus community has had an opportunity to meet the three finalists for the position, out of respect for them and their current jobs (which they would be expected to vacate if offered the position at Bennington) we have been asked not to reveal their names. The College's decision on who they'll be hiring should be made soon, so stay tuned.

-Evan '13

whai if my clothes need to be hand-washed? is there a specific place for me to wash and hang them?

You're welcome to buy a washtub and set up a clothes line if you're really into hand-washing your clothing. But if it's just one or two items, I've washed stuff in the tub before and left 'em in the bathroom or pinned them to my window. Whatever floats your boat! 

- Anushka

are dogs allowed to visit? like on parents weekend?

Yes, PLEASE bring furry frenz for us to play with. Dogs have to be on a leash and you're technically not allowed to bring them in buildings (including dorms), but we won't tell. :) 

- Anushka

What do you mean by the question "where would you be if you were at the center of the earth?" What is your definition of center in this context?

I was recently talking with Duncan Dobbelmann, our associate dean, about how historically Bennington has provided as little structure as possible to produce creative results. Every year, Sophomores tend to go through a phase of trying to figure out exactly what's expected of them in writing a Plan Essay — what are the requirements? Who can tell me how to do this? But ambiguity is part of the whole point; you're supposed to figure it out for yourself. It's the internal connections, Liz Coleman (our outgoing president) once told us, that are the most profound.

This is a long-winded way of asking, how would YOU define center in this context?

Also, the question isn't about the center of the earth, but the center of EVERYTHING — think bigger!

Ezra '13

Well, it's finally happening. My final blog post. I know...



Well, it's finally happening. My final blog post. I know you're all wondering what you'll do without my incessant cat giffing but to be honest, it will probably be more productive for the both of us.

After graduation, I'll be spending the summer at home in Alabama before heading off to the Salt Institute for Documentary Studies in Portland, ME in the fall. Many well wishes.

Love,
- jason '13

No comments:

Post a Comment